Glynn County, on the Atlantic coast south of the Altamaha River, is one of Georgia’s original eight counties. The county was created February 5, 1777 from 423 square miles of land formerly held by Creek Indians. Glynn County is named for John Glynn, a member of the British Parliament and a friend of the colonies who once held the position of Sergeant of London.
Brunswick is the County’s only municipality and serves as the county seat. The City of Brunswick was named in honor of England’s King George III, who was of the House of Brunswick.
Glynn County’s coastal location is a recreational haven for residents and visitors alike. The county features award-winning golf courses, some of the besting fishing on the East Coast, as well as beautiful beaches on the four coastal islands. The five islands of Glynn County, Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, Sea Island, Little St. Simons Island, and Blythe Island, make up the Golden Isles, so named because of their vast marshes that turn a beautiful golden color in the fall. The islands' beaches, resorts, shops, and historic sites annually attract visitors from around the world.
Glynn County’s Port of Brunswick forms a vital part of the county’s economy. It is recognized as one of the most productive ports on the East Coast and is the sixth-busiest automobile port in the United States. It is the primary export facility for two of the three United States traditional automotive manufacturers: Ford and General Motors.